Sunday, August 14, 2011

Visiting Model Railroader Magazine

It's been a busy summer so far.  However, back in June I paid a quick visit to MRM and was graciously given a tour by Steven Otte.  One of the biggest surprise for me was the the MR&T, the staffs layout was on the 2nd floor.  Don't ask me why, maybe it comes from being so used to seeing folks layouts in their basements, but that's kind of where I expected to see it as well.  I was privileged to see the new project layout, which was just about done at the time of my visit.  Another surprise was that the work shop at MR was much smaller than I thought that it would be.  They really work efficiently within the space they have!  If you ever pay a visit to Kalmbach take full advantage of when they say that you can take pictures.  I could kick myself for not snapping away a lot more!!  It was all so very interesting and Steven was a great tour guide.  Cody was off this day because it was his anniversary with Kalmbach and they are given the day off for it (Nice) and I saw a lot of the other staff working around the place, but I didn't want to bother them as I felt they were alreay doing me a great favor by letting me nose around their world on their time.  Thank you to Steven and all at MRM for a nice visit!  Below are a couple of the far too few photos I took.  However, it does give me a very good excuse to make a return trip!  

   
A look at the new project layout
it's very inspirational to say the least
Kent Johnson is working on a
larger scale layout in the background.
      
This is a coal dump & the main line
run that can be connected to
another section & continue on.
The modelling as you can see
from even my amateur photo's
is exceptional!  Fantastic detailing!
Miners houses near the mine.
Really nice terrain and structures.
  

      
The inspiration for my current layout
"The Beer Line"
It looked even better in person!
Another view of the Beer Line.
This is where, for whatever reason I stopped
taking photos.  Big mistake, because right
around the corner of this hallway that the
beer line is in is the MR&T.


No comments:

Post a Comment