A very slight change has occurred in my blog. It can now be viewed at http://gotts-n-blog.blogspot.com/
Clicky the linky and I'll see you there!!
Clicky the linky and I'll see you there!!
|Close up shot of the stairway leading|
up to the unloading deck.
|East side with freshly primed Steel|
Structure & new hand rail along the
top unloading deck.
|This is the stairway pre-paint.|
|While looking a bit like an aircraft carrier|
this is the west side of the ore dock
without any of the unloading chutes on it.
|Looking down the existing elevated |
line to the ore dock Note the lack
of track on it! : - (
|A look from the opposite|
direction. You can see the edge
of the gator board and 2 different
colored Kato bridges.
|A view of the west side of the dock.|
I'll need to fill the gaps between the
Kato bridges. It will take 4 single truss
Bridges to complete the dock understructure.
|A view from the east side of the dock.|
Don't look too close at the dusty water,
with the cat footprints on it. I haven't decided
if I'm going to make the dock dump from both
sides or only from one. I'm not sure how realistic that
will or will not be.
|Here's one last view looking to the north. I will cover about|
1/3 of the dock with corregated sheets and then make some
ore dumping chutes. I was also going to fashion some type
of a crank wheel that in theory would have been hooked onto the ore cars with a cable and as they got dumped they would
then get pulled onto the east side track so an empty load of
cars could get pulled away from the dock.
|An aerial view. The pavement is 1/4" poster board. It was|
1st spray painted with an oil base paint, to prevent warping,
then I etched the the paving lines into it and followed with
a couple coats of Woodland Scenics concrete and an alcohol
and India ink wash.
|A mini-metals ice delivery truck was|
converted into their seafood delivery truck.
I actually made 2 of them. I stripped off the
factory applied graphics with some 70%
isopropyl alcohol and then added some
smaller sized signs like those on the building.
|The larger loading dock roof is some textured|
paper that I did some dry brushing of pumpkin,
pigskin, and burnt sienna acrylic paints. The decking
has a red wine vinegar and steel wool stain.
|The foundation for the smaller is a strip|
of Chooch products flexible walls, that's
stained and dry brushed. The grass is a
bit of flocking from the grass-master and
some strips of tufts that I rip off of rolls
of the Heki long grass mats. Underneath
all of the grass is a fine layer of real sifted
|Just an opposing side view. You can see the|
sign on the truck and some figures thrown in
for activity. I lifted up the smaller building with
the stone foundation so it has a larger loading dock
in the front. You can also see the manhole cover
just to the side of the truck. It's a simple printed one
that I kind of smushed into the pavement so it's edges
don't stand up.
|Pre-rolled roofing on the 2 story newer structure|
|Blue painters tape on all the joints and|
you can see the over hang roof rafter
|I spread the rolled roofing with|
a coat of Elmers extra strength
glue stick glue. It's very easy to
apply with your finger.
|As you can see the glue starts|
out blue, but it dries clear. It also
rubs right off your finger.
|I add more blue painters tape over the|
ridge and down the valleys on the roof
I paint over the tape with shades of gray and
metallic's, to simulate a metal ridge cap and
|I dry brush the rolled roofing with flat black|
and white paint. The sign framing is just scrap
wood and all the raw wood is stained using a
red wine vinegar and steel wool stain.
Kit 1 is the Rabbit Hash store.
It's an Ok structure, but there's a big
difference in the quality of the pieces
between the 2 kits.
Kit 2 is the tool and Die Company. This kit
has better wood, thickness wise and
the instructions were much better.
Starting the Tool and Die, using the
Micro-mark framing jig.
Rabbit Hash was the one I did first. The sign is
too dark. The building is sitting on a pink foam
base and then I used the self-adhesive wall
material. I left out the right side windows
because it's where the building's will adjoin.
Here's an overhead shot with weathered and non-weathered rolled roofing material. I use extra strength Elmers "Blue" glue stix to attach the roofing material (which is just the dark gray construction paper included in the kits). It's really easy to use. Simply slide the roofing strip along the face of the paper and lay it down on the roof. It's really tacky and can be moved around if the placement isn't right. It goes on blue so you can see that you have covered the entire piece of paper, but it dries clear and is paintable. I dry brushed the roofing after it was all laid out.