Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What's in a name?

I've pondered for quite some time over what to call my Railroad. It's not a prototype, it's not geographically based. The scenery is a mix of all the things I like, urban scenery, mountains, canyons, country side. There is logging, coal mining, ore mining, produce shipping, passenger service. I have settled on an era, mid 1940's to 1950's. The engines have character, as do the boxcars, the vehicles & buildings, advertising signs, & overall feel, make for a very comfortable time to model. Men wore ties & suits, women wore dresses. There was a moral compass that helped to shape things & a clear understanding of things. It's like looking at a old farmers face that has been wind burned, tired, yet strong & full of character. He doesn't need to speak a word because the story is on his face.
I've also chosen to stick w/ Santa Fe based engines, partly because I've lived in Santa Fe & really enjoyed it, I also because I love the coloring & logos. I haven't named the any of the 5 cities along the route. Those I guess also help to name the line. One name that I am going to give to the logging town is Eurydice (Pronounced "Your-Rid-A-Shay"), it's my wifes name. As for the rest, I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm trying to think here.... I didn't do all that well in geography. If I come up with anything i'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete